I have written a flashcard program for myself because the Chinesepod one wasn't fitting my needs. I'm at a point where I can share it if anybody would like it. However, I don't have a site to put it up to, so if anybody has a place I could put it for download, let me know.
Here's what you get:
1. Intelligent word choice: As you get words right, you'll see them less and less. If you're getting them wrong, you'll see them more often. Once you have "learned" a word, you will see it only extremely rarely.
2. Testing based on Chinese, English, or Pinyin. Both Simplified and Traditional are supported.
3. Vocab Editor. Although it is a bit rough at this point, you can manually edit, add, or subtract vocabulary.
4. Smart import. To populate your vocab in the program, export your vocab list to XML. Then import that file from the File menu of the program. The import will eliminate any duplicate entries, where both chinese and english are the same. This way you can import new words on top of what you already have and it won't duplicate your library.
Please note: Chinesepod's export feature occasionally exports faulty words. My software will let you know the line of the error, and you have to go in and either delete the word or fix the problem before you can successfully import. Chinesepod has let me know this problem is on their list to fix.
Here's what it doesn't do:
1. Sound. I haven't figured out how to get that to work yet.
2. Go Back. Because of the learning nature of the program, it is not practical to offer the back or previous feature
Not sure if your comment is appropriate? Check our Commenting Policy first.
New lesson idea? Please contact us.