I just noticed on my wall where it says the date that I joined and the current date. 今天刚好是我第一天注册的中文博客 - 今天是我中文博客的生日！(Today was the day I first registered for ChinesePod - it's like my Poddie Birthday! Wow, apparently I need more practice writing...that was hard and probably not accurate!) :D So I thought it was a good time to think over my progress.
In the past three years:
- I've progressed from Newbie to solidly Intermediate using pretty much just CPod.
- Started using Skritter which has improved my character recognition exponentially!
- Traveled in China and though I didn't understand very much that people said, managed to get around on my own for about a week-and-a-half.
- Lived in Hong Kong where knowing some Mandarin came in surprisingly handy in the area that I lived (if they didn't understand English - I'd switch to Mandarin).
- I have started reading Chinese research journal articles - no kiddie books for me haha - because I need them for research. This has been excruciatingly painful and I rely heavily on Google Translate, MDGB, Jukuu.com and Nciku, but it is good for vocab building and for reinforcement.
- Sadly I feel like I'm in a slump now - but I'm still pushing forward. I imagine everyone goes through times when they feel like they're not really absorbing anything - I feel like that with my listening right now.
- Still not practicing speaking - but I work on tones and word recognition with my Anki flashcards. I'm still just too shy to try with my colleagues here in the U.S. :/ My travels in China were good at forcing me to speak some - it was hard to speak though when I didn't understand what people were saying.
So thank you ChinesePod! You've been my main resource for learning Chinese and I've learned so much in three years, which is amazing as I've never taken a single class! I guess I've come a long way from when I first thought Chinese was unintelligible. :)
New lesson idea? Please contact us.