My work has provided a fairly user-unfriendly washing machine. I always struggle to describe using it without caveman Chinese. I wrote down the steps for using it in English and Chinese. I'm hoping some of you can give me some input. I know there are big mistakes.
How to use an un-automated Chinese washing machine:
1. Pour water to the washing machine, add clothes and soap.
2. Use the ‘standard setting' on the ‘select drain/fill' dial, and select the maximum cycle time of fifteen minutes on the ‘wash cycle' dial.
3. After the cycle is finished, drain the water and then pour water again for the rinse cycle. Run the washing machine for fifteen minutes.
4. Repeat step three one more time.
5. Place the clothes into the spin-dry machine (I don't even know this word in English). Make sure the clothes are distributed evenly, otherwise the spinner cannot reach work effectively. Select the full 5 minutes on the ‘spin-dry' dial.
6. Pull out your clothes. Your clothes should be ready to dry.
Note: terms I had particular trouble translating are highlighted.
Bonus question: how to say "spin it for five minutes"? 旋转五分钟?
Not sure if your comment is appropriate? Check our Commenting Policy first.
New lesson idea? Please contact us.